Heritage Buildings in Bromley Town Centre

 

Drawing of a large open space containing a square of 3-storey buildings

View of the Bishops Palace in Bromley, by Hasted, said to have been drawn before the year 1756

Bromley is a very historic town, with an extensive collection of historic buildings, in the town centre.  This is just a few of them.  Please click on the links to read about them. They have been grouped according to location:

  • High Street:
  • High Street North:
  • East Street:
  • South Street
  • Tweedy Road
  • West Street
  • Widmore Road
  • The Civic Centre and Palace

 

Heritage Buildings in the High Street (market square and south):

54-62 High Street (Laura Ashley’s) One of the less appreciated 1930s additions on the East side, that transformed the ‘Broadway’ into the Lower High Street.
70 High Street (former Maplins Building). One of the less appreciated 1930s additions that transformed the ‘Broadway’ into the Lower High Street. This New Gothic building, with a scalloped parapet and pretty ‘Juliet’ balconies…
 Nos 72-80 High Street, Bromley Manor Parade.  This brick with stone ornamentation parade was built in 1930 with the broken pendiments and sash windows of the Neo-Gothic style
 86-96 High Street, Ravensfell Parade – built in 1923 along the front of the Ravensfell House site. Home to Russel and Bromley in 1928.

Postcard from BBLHS showing the Aberdeen Buildings and Broadway in 1904

107 High Street (Clarke’s), the Aberdeen Buildings
 117 High Street, Coffee bar ‘Importers’ now Burger King
 130 High Street, Paperchase. One of the older buildings in the high street; the first floor period furniture is suspended over the shop floor.
3 storey brick and stone Arts and Crafts, with dutch gable. 160 High Street Victoria Chambers, a fine building from the 1890s in the Arts & Crafts style with its characteristic Dutch influence. Birth place of HG Wells
 Paregetting The Royal Bell – This iconic Queen Anne style Arts and Crafts hotel was the central to Bromley for decades…

High Street North:

  Bromley & Sheppard Colleges
  The Star and Garter – one of the best examples of Arts and Crafts buildings to be found for a long way, with extravagant jetties, turret…

East Street:

a white washed pitched roofed hall No. 27-29 The local Drill Hall for the Rifle Volunteers, now O’Neils pub.
 No. 19 East Street – home of the Local Board

South Street:

 three storey fire station with striking brick and stone stripes The Fire Station
   Community House, Magistrates Court was designed in 1939 by C Cowles Voysey

Tweedy Road:

stylish copper green cupula on hexagonal tower The Old Arts and Science school – beautiful decorated building designed by John Suliman.

slate roofed, brick with stone pointing, 2-storey with round columned porch

Neo-gothic style to recall Wren’s buildings.

 The proud and ornate Classic old town hall, built in 1906 by R Frank Atkinson in a neo-Wren style.

West Street:

 former post office, West Street

Widmore Road:

blue-slate roofed 2-storey neo-georgian building Neo-Georgian style former Town Hall extension (now Exchequer House) in Widmore Road, was built in 1938-39 and designed by Charles Cowles-Voysey.

The Civic Centre and Palace:

  Bromley’s Bishops Palace. The Manor of Bromley was first recorded in the eighth century and there has been a Bishop’s Palace since 1100s…