Heritage Buildings and history of Market Square
The market square dates from medieval times, when Bromley was granted a market charter in 1205, though it’s first charter was granted by King Ethelbert of Kent, in 862, when it was known as Bromleag.
Until the 1830s the market square had a traditional wooden market building, with open sides, where the market would take place. This was then replaced by the
Old New Town Hall, built by Coles-Child from his own bricks, that stood in the centre of Market square .
In the 1933 it had been found that the row of buildings between the High Street and market square made the road too narrow, and these were demolished, and the lovely
‘Old English’ style Arts and Crafts buildings placed in the centre.
Underneath our photo gallery, are links to more pages about the heritage buildings and history of Market Square.
Below is some old and recent photographs of Market Square:
1920s view of Market square from the south with the Electricity Company’s chimney visible in the background
Looking towards Market square from the north part of the High Street
The original market hall in Market Square
The ‘Town Hall’ built for the town by Coles-Child at his own expense; it housed the police station, a cell, the fire-engine (which was evicted from the church) and free library
Market day in 1905
Snowy market square
Spectators for a fire in a building in Market square
Market Square corner with brick and black wood frames, tall chimneys and dropped roofs.
1957 stylish building for Dunns in Market Square
Paynes clock build as part of the 1930s quadrangle, in Arts and Crafts Movement style, in Market Square.
Caters supermarket, Market Square, in the1960s The TSB and Bon Marche occupy the former ‘Caters’ store built in 1957, one...
This much lamented ancient Inn dated from the medieval era and had been rebuilt as the commercial hub in the...
This fine building is from the 1890s and built in the Arts & Crafts style with its characteristic Dutch influence....
Eventually, Medhurst’s had this fine Art Deco /classical style department store built, in 1930, and traded as a family-owned business until...
This classy building was erected in 1888 by the local butcher David Harris. It was designed by Walter Albert Williams...
These buildings are the oldest buildings in Market Square. They were originally built as private houses, in the early 18th...
These lovely black and white buildings are from the 1933 re-layout of Market square. They exemplify the culmination of the...
MacDonalds occupies an 18th century shop which for generations until around 1971 was the Bakery of the Maunders family. Next...
The town pump is in the corner of Market Square, with the Darwin mural behind it. It stands 25 yards...
Built in 1912 for the David Greig chain of supermarkets. It has an orate stone frontage in Neo-Baroque style. It...
Cafe Rouge, formerly Herbert Collings Cafe Rouge occupies the first building displaying the transition from a small market town into...
Dunns furnishers sold high-end stylish furniture from their market square shop. Rebuilt in Arts and Crafts shop after a fire...
Neo-Gothic, 'Elizabethan' style, brick new 'Town Hall' built by the new Lord of the Manor in the 1863 at his...
Market Square is the centre of the Old Town which, until the coming of the railway in 1858, comprised a...