Older Heritage Buildings in Bromley Town Centre

We are lucky to have buildings dating from 1700s in the north part of our town. There is the remarkable 17th Century ‘colleges’ for clergy widows and spinsters (still lived in) and the Church tower dates from the 14th Century. The Bishop’s Palace is a Victorian upgrade on a 17th Century building. There’s even some older shops in the upper high street.

  • Bromley & Sheppard Colleges – Heritage Building Profile

    Bromley College was founded by John Warner, Bishop of Rochester, in 1666 as almshouses for 20 widows of clergy. The intention was for it to be in Rochester but land was not available.  John Warner was one of only eight Bishops to survive until the restoration of the Stuart Monarchy in 1660. When he died…
  • High Street No. 111 – Heritage Building

    Number 111 is Tweed cottage. This modest 2-storey building marked the southern most end of the High street until the railway came, in 1858. Since then, this Georgian building has been Barclays Bank, before becoming Tiger shop, selling arts and crafts materials.
  • High Street No. 217, 1700s house and former bookshop – Heritage Buildings

    The tattooist (No. 217), and the next door shop, occupy an 18th century house, worthy of mention as it was the premises of two Bromley notable historians and printers, each producing from this shop an invaluable histories of Bromley – Thomas Wilson in 1797 and John Dunkin in 1815. The row of 5 windows is…
  • Market Sq No. 14-18 Georgian Terrace – Heritage Buildings

    These buildings are the oldest buildings in Market Square. They were originally built as private houses, in the early 18th century. They were the scene of several fatal fires in the Victorian / Edwardian era, which included the collection of sheds and stables that were behind them.
  • Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul – Heritage Building

    Essentially only the tower still survives of the Medieval  church, of St Peter and St Paul. It was originally at/before 1226, then rebuilt in 1327, and in 1824-30, only to be gutted in the “Bromley Blitz” bombing raid of 16th April, 1941. Some of the Medieval to post-Medieval memorials have been salvaged and can been seen…
  • Drawing of a house with thick walls and a large tudor chimney

    Simpsons Moat

    Simpsons Moat, or Palace, was a moated, crenellated manor house at the bottom of Ringers Road. Most of the building had been of Tudor age, dominated by a large chimney. Henry VIII was reputed to have visited. It was later converted to a farm house, and the last tenant, Jeraimiah Ringer filled in two sides…
  • circular pond and little lake behind

    St Blaise’s Well

    View over moat from St Blaise’s well (2019) Rediscovered in 1754 (by the Bishop’s domestic chaplain, a Rev Mr Hardwick); a spring seeping into the moat was identified as a chalybeate spring, complete with buried ancient oak steps. “Chalybeate” means that the water contains minerals, usually iron. There was a fashion for ‘Spa’ cures from…
  • The Bishops Palace – Heritage building profile

    View of Bromley Bishop’s Palace from the lawns. These buildings were the Palace of the Bishops of Rochester. The present building is part 18th century. This article is only a small part of the extensive information on this lovely historic building.  It is to be hoped that the beautiful reception rooms…

Belowis a collection of old photographs, of the north part of the High Street, from yesteryear: