Lost Heritage of Bromley

Some of the town’s most historic buildings have been lost over the years. A majority of these were replaced by jarring brutalist buildings.

  • street scene from 1900s with hostelry on one side and hackney carraige

    High Street No. 147-149 & 151-153 Demolished – The White Hart Inn

    This much lamented ancient Inn dated from the medieval era and had been rebuilt as the commercial hub in the 1830s. Replaced by a space wasting concrete cuboid.
  • olde double fronted shop with shop keeper

    High Street No. 232, former Grete House lodge

    This is one of a pair of early 18th century lodges at the entrance to the driveway to the Grete House, a Tudor mansion and its lands.
  • Triangular gable ended school house

    North Street Demolished – The Parish School

    The Parish school, then known as the National School, was built on the corner of North Street and College Road, in 1854.  The building was especially designed for it, by the eminent architect James Piers St Aubyn, who also designed the romantic additions to Saint Michael’s Mount in Cornwall. It was locally listed and, protected…
  • Drawing of a house with thick walls and a large tudor chimney

    Simpsons Moat

    Simpsons Moat, or Palace, was a moated, crenellated manor house at the bottom of Ringers Road. Most of the building had been of Tudor age, dominated by a large chimney. Henry VIII was reputed to have visited. It was later converted to a farm house, and the last tenant, Jeraimiah Ringer filled in two sides…
  • Widmore Road Demolished – Homeopathy Hospital

    Homeopathy was a popular treatment in Bromley, starting in 1865  when part of the White Hart Inn was opened as a homeopathic dispensary, and when it outgrew this accommodation,  Bromley’s first homeopathic hospital opened in 1889 at 19 Widmore Road.  This backed onto White Hart Field (part of which is now Queens Gardens). “When a…