Heritage Buildings of the Upper/North High Street

This is the oldest section of the High Street, and has buildings that survive from the 1700s. The town is very fortunate that there we have a fine collection of Victorian and Arts and Craft era buildings in this part of our High Street.

  • Royal Bell

    173-177 High Street, The Royal Bell – Heritage Building Profile

    The Royal Bell is a beautiful Queen Anne style Arts and Crafts style building just north of market square. The architect was the renowned Ernest Newton and it is Grade II listed. This range of buildings was rebuilt in 1898 on the site of an earlier hostelry of 1666; as part of the front required propping up…
  • 179-183 William Hill formerly Martins Bank – Heritage Building

    Designed by the Arts and Crafts architect Ernest Newton (see our page here). The Martins Bank website provides some more pictures of the interior of the building, with an interesting note on the occasion: “For our Bromley Branch features, we look at the retirements of two members of the staff reported as usual by Martins…
  • Two neo-classical high street buildings one brick one whitewashed

    194 High Street, the Partridge – Heritage Building Profile

    The Partridge Public House stands at the junction of Church Road and was originally built for the National Provincial Bank in 1927 by architects Gunton & Gunton. It became a Public House in 1995.
  • Two neo-classical high street buildings one brick one whitewashed

    198 High Street formally Pamphilons – Heritage Building Profile

    Nos. 196-198 High Street was a dwelling house which became used as a wine merchant towards the end of the 18th century. George Pamphilon became the owner in 1865 and in 1876 he rebuilt the premises. The timber shopfront reflects the design as it was in the 19th century. Note the lettering on the arch…
  • ornate turn of the century building with juliette balconies and buddliah growing out of it

    208-214 High Street former Tunnel Shoes – Heritage Buildings

    The former Tunnel Shoes occupy the original 1902 premises of Boots the Chemists. The Art Nouveau wrought iron work in front of the first floor windows is typical of boots in this period and similar work can also be seen in Boots old shop in the Pantiles in Tunbridge Wells. Behind the modern false ceiling…
  • 242 High Street Picture House Cinema

    Opened on the 21st December 1936, it is one of Odeon’s original “Oscar Deutsch Odeon” cinemas, in Art Deco style, by George Coles. TODO replace with one from camera. By Simon Steele. It seated 1,492 in the main auditorium; with 1,018 in the stalls and 474 in the circle. In 2006 the Empire chain bought…
  • College Slip – Heritage

    College Slip is the passageway which follows the old college wall. In the latter part of the 19th century it was still a country lane leading to open fields. The early 19th century cottage on the north side was the home of the nurseryman who grew his plants on the adjacent site. The nursery was…
  • Black-and-white house with jetties, turret and balconies

    The Star And Garter – Heritage building profile

    One of the best Arts and Crafts buildings around, with extravagant turret, balcony and decoration. The Star & Garter Inn was constructed in 1898 and was designed by Berney and Sons for Nalder and Collyer, a local Croydon brewer.  It has been eulogised as a fantasy of the Arts and Crafts movement.  The sign hanging…
  • The Swan and Mitre – Heritage Building Profile

    The Swan & Mitre is an old coaching inn which was popular with carters carrying farm produce and fish, resting on their journey to the London markets. It dates mainly from the early 19th century The Swan and Mitre In older accounts it is sometimes just referred to as the Swan.
  • Walters Yard – Heritage

    Until the end of the 18th century the east side of the High Street from The Bell Inn northwards, including part of the side of the college, comprised land called Grete House. This was a large private estate now covered by Walters Yard. During the Napoleonic Wars part of the area became known as ‘Prison…
This entry was posted in historic_link_page. Bookmark the permalink.