Market Square

North side of Market Square in the 1900s, with the Royal Bell at the back. The row of buildings on the left were later demolished to make the square larger.

Market Square is the centre of the Old Town which until the coming of the railway in 1858 comprised a single street. The Market Charter was granted to Bishop Gandalf by King John in 1205. The limits of the town are still marked by existing buildings – Bromley College in the Upper High Street and Tweed Cottage, now Barclays bank in the Lower High Street.

This entry was posted in historic_link_page. Bookmark the permalink.