Heritage Buildings of the Cage Field Triangle (N/S/E/W streets, Tweedy Road, Widmore Rd)
These buildings were built in the later Victorian era, around what had previously been the triangular Cage Field. It was named after the Cage, an open-fronted shed-like building on Widmore Road, where miscreants could be held overnight before being seen by the Magistrate in the morning.
On Widmore Road stood the former pub, the Three Compasses. This could be due to the streets being named after compass points (North, South, etc) or it could be because many of the great and good of the town were masons. For the masons, it is a popular symbol, and is thought that the compass represents self-restraint.
Below, are some pictures, old and new, of these streets:
19 east street
19 East Street The Local Board building decorated for Queen Victorias Jubilee
TODO replace with one from camera
Bromley North station in Neo-Classical style.
The original setting for the current station building.
Bromley National School, from BBLHS Cuwood collection
1914 advance guard departing to Dover
Shell motif from The Railway Tavern, the scallop shell being the Heraldic symbol of the Bishops of Rochester, as it represented Pilgrimage
The Old Post Office in 2019, photo by Paul Ylaes.
mystical beast from the decorations on the HSBC building, built for Covells butchers (inspired by Bruge)
Herbert Colins building
Fine elliptical gate post finials
Fire engines outside the station on South Street in 2019.
Old court house (1909) in the former Town Hall on Tweedy Road in 2019 whilst in LBB care
Sometimes called Bromley's 'Toy Town' station. The current building dates from when the station was rebuilt, in Neo-Classical style, in...
Fine Art Deco brick and stone building with portico and cupula. By architect C Cowles Voysey in 1939, and forming...
The former Southern Suburban Co-operative Society department Store on East Street Though this striking Arts & Crafts building is now...
Striking octagonal building on Widmore Road. The listing describes it as "Christian Science Church. 1928 by E Braxton Sinclair in...
Striking stone and brick arches add distinction to this neo-georgian building designed by Stanley Hawkings
The original fire station in Bromley, now a chinese restaurant
Architect: Henry Tanner The former Post Office in West Street was completed in 1896, and like the David Greig building...
Number 19 East Street was formerly the offices of the Local Board (the first body of local administration in Bromley)....
The Parish school, then known as the National School, was built on the corner of North Street and College Road,...
No. 8 South Street is where Mrs Knotts dame school was attended by a young H.G. Wells between 1871 and...
The Bromley Oak in Autumn colour This veteran oak tree (Quercus robur) was reprieved, when the Glades was being built,...
The Drill Hall, Nos 27-29 East Street, was opened in 1872 for use by the Bromley Volunteer Rifle Corps. Town...
The Railway Tavern Public House was built in 1879, by Berney & Sons who also designed the Star & Garter...
This distinctive building on the corner of East Street and West Street is a good example of 'Streaky Bacon' style...
Homeopathy was a popular treatment in Bromley, starting in 1865 when part of the White Hart Inn was opened as...