Tag Archives: Heritage Buildings

High Street No. _72-80, Bromley House Parade – Heritage Building Profile

Bromley House Parade of shops was built about 1930 when this part of the High Street was developed.  The rows of shops on this side of the High Street replaced a line of fine villas that overlooked the Ravensbourne valley. … Continue reading

Posted in High St & Broadway | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off on High Street No. _72-80, Bromley House Parade – Heritage Building Profile

Arts And Crafts Movement in Bromley – Ernest Newton

The renowned architect Ernest Newton has built one of his best works in Bromley: The Royal Bell. Continue reading

Posted in Arts And Crafts, Local Architects, Local History | Tagged , , | Comments Off on Arts And Crafts Movement in Bromley – Ernest Newton

High Street No. 160, Victoria Chambers, now Primark’s Annex – Heritage Building Profile

This fine building is from the 1890s and built in the Arts & Crafts style with its characteristic Dutch influence. The blue plaque identifies it as the birthplace of the famous author HG Wells. Continue reading

Posted in Arts And Crafts, HG Wells locations, High St & Market Sq | Tagged , , , , , | Comments Off on High Street No. 160, Victoria Chambers, now Primark’s Annex – Heritage Building Profile

Former Town Hall extension – Heritage Building Profile

The neo-Georgian style former Town Hall extension (now Exchequer House) in Widmore Road, was built in 1938-39 and designed by Charles Cowles-Voysey (see wiki), well known for his work on town hall and public buildings in the 1920’s and 1930’s. He … Continue reading

Posted in Tweedy Rd | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on Former Town Hall extension – Heritage Building Profile

Former School of Art & Science (now the Clockhouse) – Heritage Building Profile

The School of Science and Art stands opposite the Edwardian Town Hall. The external relief terracotta panels include representations of science and art. The original building was designed by John Sulman and was built in 1878 by J C Arnauld … Continue reading

Posted in Tweedy Rd | Tagged , , | Comments Off on Former School of Art & Science (now the Clockhouse) – Heritage Building Profile

Former Town Hall – Heritage Building Profile

The former Town Hall in Tweedy Road was built in 1906 by R Frank Atkinson in a neo-Wren style. The hipped slate roof has a central cupola constructed in timber, set above a fine entrance porch. Officially opened by Mayor … Continue reading

Posted in Tweedy Rd | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on Former Town Hall – Heritage Building Profile

Community House (former Magistrates Court) – Heritage Building Profile

The former Magistrates Court was designed in 1939 by C Cowles Voysey and forms part of an identifiable group of public buildings with the Fire Station and the Town Hall complex.

Posted in compass streets | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on Community House (former Magistrates Court) – Heritage Building Profile

South Street No. 8, The Fire Station – Heritage Building Profile

Striking stone and brick arches add distinction to this neo-georgian building designed by Stanley Hawkings Continue reading

Posted in compass streets | Tagged , , , , , | Comments Off on South Street No. 8, The Fire Station – Heritage Building Profile

Number 8 South Street – HG Wells Dame school

No. 8 South Street is where Mrs Knotts dame school was attended by a young H.G. Wells between 1871 and 1874.  In his autobiography, he describes it as “off with my brother Freddy (who was on no account to let … Continue reading

Posted in compass streets, HG Wells locations, Local History | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on Number 8 South Street – HG Wells Dame school

West Street – former post office

The former Post Office in West Street was completed in 1896, it was occupied in 1897 and enlarged in 1913. The previous premises in Market Square had become too small to cope with the rapid expansion of the town.

Posted in compass streets | Tagged , | Comments Off on West Street – former post office