Category Archives: Historic_Buildings

North Street Demolished – The Parish School

The Parish school, then known as the National School, was built on the corner of North Street and College Road, in 1854.  The building was especially designed for it, by the eminent architect James Piers St Aubyn, who also designed … Continue reading

Posted in compass streets, HG Wells locations, Lost Heritage | Tagged , | Comments Off on North Street Demolished – The Parish School

Widmore Road Demolished – Homeopathy Hospital

Homeopathy was a popular treatment in Bromley, starting in 1865  when part of the White Hart Inn was opened as a homeopathic dispensary, and when it outgrew this accommodation,  Bromley’s first homeopathic hospital opened in 1889 at 19 Widmore Road.  … Continue reading

Posted in compass streets, Lost Heritage | Tagged | Comments Off on Widmore Road Demolished – Homeopathy Hospital

High Street No. 111 – Heritage Building

Number 111 is Tweed cottage. This modest 2-storey building marked the southern most end of the High street until the railway came, in 1858. Since then, this Georgian building has been Barclays Bank, before becoming Tiger shop, selling arts and … Continue reading

Posted in pre-victorian | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on High Street No. 111 – Heritage Building

Simpsons Moat

Simpsons Moat, or Palace, was a moated, crenellated manor house at the bottom of Ringers Road. Most of the building had been of Tudor age, dominated by a large chimney. Henry VIII was reputed to have visited. It was later … Continue reading

Posted in Lost Heritage, pre-victorian | Tagged | Comments Off on Simpsons Moat

The Old Bromley Oak

This veteran oak tree (Quercus robur) was reprieved, when the Glades was being built, and still proudly stands at the side of Kentish Way. Originally it grew on the corner of the grounds of the house “Bromley Lodge” and Love … Continue reading

Posted in compass streets, Green Space | Tagged , | Comments Off on The Old Bromley Oak

St Blaise’s Well

Rediscovered in 1754 (by the Bishop’s domestic chaplain, a Rev Mr Hardwick); a spring seeping into the moat was identified as a chalybeate spring, complete with buried ancient oak steps. “Chalybeate” means that the water contains minerals, usually iron. There … Continue reading

Posted in Green Space - Palace Park, pre-victorian | Tagged | Comments Off on St Blaise’s Well

West Street No. 01 Former Electric Company – Heritage Buildings

Built in 1908 this building housed the offices of Bromley Electric Light Company. Behind was the coal-fired ‘power station’ whose tall chimney dominates old photos of the town centre. It was there for over 30 years. The architectural style is … Continue reading

Posted in Arts And Crafts, compass streets | Tagged , , | Comments Off on West Street No. 01 Former Electric Company – Heritage Buildings

Bromley South Station

The railway station of Bromley South. The original town rail station was at Shortlands.

Posted in Bromley South | Tagged | Comments Off on Bromley South Station

High Street No. 217, 1700s house and former bookshop – Heritage Buildings

The tattooist (No. 217), and the next door shop, occupy an 18th century house, worthy of mention as it was the premises of two Bromley notable historians and printers, each producing from this shop an invaluable histories of Bromley – … Continue reading

Posted in High St North, pre-victorian | Tagged , , | Comments Off on High Street No. 217, 1700s house and former bookshop – Heritage Buildings

High Street No. 232 – Heritage Building

This shop was the site of Morley’s Academy, which was on the upper floors, where the author HG Wells went to school, after he had graduated from the Dame school on south street. It was demolished in 1902 and replaced … Continue reading

Posted in High St North | Tagged , , | Comments Off on High Street No. 232 – Heritage Building