Category Archives: Lost Heritage

Lost Heritage Buildings

North Street Demolished – The Parish School

The Parish school, then known as the National School, was built on the corner of North Street and College Road, in 1854.  The building was especially designed for it, by the eminent architect James Piers St Aubyn, who also designed … Continue reading

Posted in compass streets, HG Wells locations, Lost Heritage | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Widmore Road Demolished – Homeopathy Hospital

Homeopathy was a popular treatment in Bromley, starting in 1865  when part of the White Hart Inn was opened as a homeopathic dispensary, and when it outgrew this accommodation,  Bromley’s first homeopathic hospital opened in 1889 at 19 Widmore Road.  … Continue reading

Posted in compass streets, Lost Heritage | Tagged | Leave a comment

Simpsons Moat

Simpsons Moat, or Palace, was a moated, crenellated manor house at the bottom of Ringers Road. Most of the building had been of Tudor age, dominated by a large chimney. Henry VIII was reputed to have visited. It was later … Continue reading

Posted in Lost Heritage, pre-victorian | Tagged | Comments Off on Simpsons Moat

High Street No. 232, former Grete House lodge

This is one of a pair of early 18th century lodges at the entrance to the driveway to the Grete House, a Tudor mansion and its lands. Continue reading

Posted in High St North, Lost Heritage | Tagged , , | Comments Off on High Street No. 232, former Grete House lodge

High Street No. 147-149 & 151-153 Demolished – The White Hart Inn

This much lamented ancient Inn dated from the medieval era and had been rebuilt as the commercial hub in the 1830s. Replaced by a space wasting concrete cuboid. Continue reading

Posted in High St & Market Sq, Lost Heritage | Tagged , , | Comments Off on High Street No. 147-149 & 151-153 Demolished – The White Hart Inn