Join BCS!We really need your support if you care about Bromley and its heritage and green spaces. Membership costs only £10 per year so find out more from our membership portal.
- 66-70 High Street
- Arts And Crafts
- BCS events
- Bromley College
- Bromley Council
- Bromley history
- Bromley Palace
- Ernest Newton
- Green space
- Heritage Buildings
- HG Wells
- Jane Austen
- Local Plan
- Market Square
- Queen's Gardens
- Site G
Follow us on Twitter
Tag Archives: LBB-Bromley-North-Trail
Primark annex next to Mothercare occupies Victoria Chambers, a fine building from the 1890s in the Arts & Crafts style with its characteristic Dutch influence. With the building of a new section of road called the ‘New Cut’ in 1832, … Continue reading
The neo-Georgian style former Town Hall extension (now Exchequer House) in Widmore Road, was built in 1938-39 and designed by Charles Cowles-Voysey (see wiki), well known for his work on town hall and public buildings in the 1920’s and 1930’s. He … Continue reading
The School of Science and Art stands opposite the Edwardian Town Hall. The external relief terracotta panels include representations of science and art. The original building was designed by John Sulman and was built in 1878 by J C Arnauld … Continue reading
The former Town Hall in Tweedy Road was built in 1906 by R Frank Atkinson in a neo-Wren style. The hipped slate roof has a central cupola constructed in timber, set above a fine entrance porch. Officially opened by Mayor … Continue reading
The former Magistrates Court was designed in 1939 by C Cowles Voysey and forms part of an identifiable group of public buildings with the Fire Station and the Town Hall complex.
The Fire Station was designed by Stanley Hawkings, the Borough Engineer, and was completed in 1905 at a cost of £5,191 12s 6d.
No. 8 South Street is where Mrs Knotts dame school was attended by a young H.G. Wells between 1871 and 1874. We have more about HG Wells in Bromley at our page here.
The former Post Office in West Street was completed in 1896, it was occupied in 1897 and enlarged in 1913. The previous premises in Market Square had become too small to cope with the rapid expansion of the town.
Number 19 East Street formerly the offices of the Local Board (the first body of local administration in Bromley). It stood at the junction of East Street and West Street. The purpose of the local board was to provide such … Continue reading
The Drill Hall, Nos 27-29 East Street, was opened in 1872 for use by the Bromley Volunteer Rifle Corps. Town celebrations and events were held here. It became a public house in 1997. x