Category Archives: Tweedy Rd

Tweedy Road

Former Town Hall extension – Heritage Building Profile

The neo-Georgian style former Town Hall extension (now Exchequer House) in Widmore Road, was built in 1938-39 and designed by Charles Cowles-Voysey (see wiki), well known for his work on town hall and public buildings in the 1920’s and 1930’s. He … Continue reading

Posted in Tweedy Rd | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on Former Town Hall extension – Heritage Building Profile

Former School of Art & Science (now the Clockhouse) – Heritage Building Profile

The School of Science and Art stands opposite the Edwardian Town Hall. The external relief terracotta panels include representations of science and art. The original building was designed by John Sulman and was built in 1878 by J C Arnauld … Continue reading

Posted in Tweedy Rd | Tagged , , | Comments Off on Former School of Art & Science (now the Clockhouse) – Heritage Building Profile

Former Town Hall – Heritage Building Profile

The former Town Hall in Tweedy Road was built in 1906 by R Frank Atkinson in a neo-Wren style. The hipped slate roof has a central cupola constructed in timber, set above a fine entrance porch. Officially opened by Mayor … Continue reading

Posted in Tweedy Rd | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on Former Town Hall – Heritage Building Profile

Bromley North Station – Heritage Building Profile

Sometimes called Bromley’s ‘Toy Town’ station.  The current building dates from when the station was rebuilt, in Neo-Classical style, in 1925.  The original timber buildings which formed Bromley North had become shamefully run down.  It was designed by the Chief … Continue reading

Posted in Tweedy Rd | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off on Bromley North Station – Heritage Building Profile