Join BCS!We really need your support if you care about Bromley and its heritage and green spaces. Membership costs only £10 per year so find out more from our membership portal.
- Historic Architecture Talk on February 28th: Venue Change
- Press Release – 20-storey Tower over former Maplins at 66-70 High Street
- Former Town Hall extension – Heritage Building Profile
- Former School of Art & Science (now the Clockhouse) – Heritage Building Profile
- Former Town Hall – Heritage Building Profile
- BCS events
- Bromley College
- Bromley Council
- Bromley history
- Bromley Palace
- Green space
- Heritage Buildings
- Jane Austen
- Local Plan
- Queen's Gardens
- Site G
Follow us on Twitter
Tag Archives: Heritage Buildings
The neo-Georgian style former Town Hall extension (now Exchequer House) in Widmore Road, was built in 1938-39 and designed by Charles Cowles-Voysey (see wiki), well known for his work on town hall and public buildings in the 1920’s and 1930’s. He … Continue reading
The School of Science and Art stands opposite the Edwardian Town Hall. The external relief terracotta panels include representations of science and art. The original building was designed by John Sulman and was built in 1878 by J C Arnauld … Continue reading
The former Town Hall in Tweedy Road was built in 1906 by R Frank Atkinson in a neo-Wren style. The hipped slate roof has a central cupola constructed in timber, set above a fine entrance porch. Officially opened by Mayor … Continue reading
The former Magistrates Court was designed in 1939 by C Cowles Voysey and forms part of an identifiable group of public buildings with the Fire Station and the Town Hall complex.
The Fire Station was designed by Stanley Hawkings, the Borough Engineer, and was completed in 1905 at a cost of £5,191 12s 6d.
No. 8 South Street is where Mrs Knotts dame school was attended by a young H.G. Wells between 1871 and 1874. x
The former Post Office in West Street was completed in 1896, it was occupied in 1897 and enlarged in 1913. The previous premises in Market Square had become too small to cope with the rapid expansion of the town.
Number 19 East Street formerly the offices of the Local Board (the first body of local administration in Bromley). It stood at the junction of East Street and West Street. The purpose of the local board was to provide such … Continue reading
The Drill Hall, Nos 27-29 East Street, was opened in 1872 for use by the Bromley Volunteer Rifle Corps. Town celebrations and events were held here. It became a public house in 1997. x
The original timber buildings which formed Bromley North Station were rebuilt in 1925, just prior to the electrification of the line. The railway, both here and at Bromley South, altered Bromley’s existence as a market town. A population of 5,500 … Continue reading