Author Archives: Kerry Hood

Press Release – 20-storey Tower over former Maplins at 66-70 High Street

BROMLEY CIVIC SOCIETY Press Release 20 storey tower proposed on the site of the former Maplins store Like circling vultures waiting to pick the bones of our historic old town developers are being lured by the Council’s ill-conceived Masterplan and … Continue reading

Posted in BCS news, Campaigns | Leave a comment

Former Town Hall extension – Heritage Building Profile

The neo-Georgian style former Town Hall extension (now Exchequer House) in Widmore Road, was built in 1938-39 and designed by Charles Cowles-Voysey (see wiki), well known for his work on town hall and public buildings in the 1920’s and 1930’s. He … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Former School of Art & Science (now the Clockhouse) – Heritage Building Profile

The School of Science and Art stands opposite the Edwardian Town Hall. The external relief terracotta panels include representations of science and art. The original building was designed by John Sulman and was built in 1878 by J C Arnauld … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Former Town Hall – Heritage Building Profile

The former Town Hall in Tweedy Road was built in 1906 by R Frank Atkinson in a neo-Wren style. The hipped slate roof has a central cupola constructed in timber, set above a fine entrance porch. Officially opened by Mayor … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Community House (former Magistrates Court) – Heritage Building Profile

The former Magistrates Court was designed in 1939 by C Cowles Voysey and forms part of an identifiable group of public buildings with the Fire Station and the Town Hall complex.

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , | Leave a comment

The Fire Station – Heritage Building Profile

The Fire Station was designed by Stanley Hawkings, the Borough Engineer, and was completed in 1905 at a cost of £5,191 12s 6d.

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Number 8 South Street – HG Wells Dame school

No. 8 South Street is where Mrs Knotts dame school was attended by a young H.G. Wells between 1871 and 1874. x

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , | Leave a comment

West Street – former post office

The former Post Office in West Street was completed in 1896, it was occupied in 1897 and enlarged in 1913. The previous premises in Market Square had become too small to cope with the rapid expansion of the town.

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , | Leave a comment

No. 19 East Street (former Local Board)- Heritage Building Profile

Number 19 East Street formerly the offices of the Local Board (the first body of local administration in Bromley). It stood at the junction of East Street and West Street. The purpose of the local board was to provide such … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , | Leave a comment

The Old Drill Hall (now O’Neils) – Heritage Building Profile

The Drill Hall, Nos 27-29 East Street, was opened in 1872 for use by the Bromley Volunteer Rifle Corps. Town celebrations and events were held here. It became a public house in 1997. x  

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , | Leave a comment