Author Archives: campaignr

St Blaise’s Well

Rediscovered in 1754 (by the Bishop’s domestic chaplain, a Rev Mr Hardwick); a spring seeping into the moat was identified as a chalybeate spring, complete with buried ancient oak steps. “Chalybeate” means that the water contains minerals, usually iron. There … Continue reading

Posted in Green Space - Palace Park, pre-victorian | Tagged | Comments Off on St Blaise’s Well

The Pulham Rockery and Fernery

The Pulham’s Rockery and Pulham’s Fernery were fashionable garden installations in the late Victorian era. Pulhams had invented an early form of concrete, which looks quite convincingly like rocks – but was much easier to install Continue reading

Posted in Green Space - Palace Park | Tagged , , | Comments Off on The Pulham Rockery and Fernery

Queens Gardens and formerly White Hart Field

In 1897 the lord of the manor, Charles Cole-Childs, gave the field known as White Hart Field, to the people. This became Queens Gardens. Before the Glades was built it stretched between Market Square and the Bishops Palace (the Bishops … Continue reading

Posted in Green Space | Tagged , | Comments Off on Queens Gardens and formerly White Hart Field

Join BCS (and calling all existing members!)

If you care about Bromley and its heritage and green spaces, please support us by joining the Society. Membership per household is only £10 per year. Continue reading

Posted in BCS news | Tagged , | Comments Off on Join BCS (and calling all existing members!)

West Street No. 01 Former Electric Company – Heritage Buildings

Built in 1908 this building housed the offices of Bromley Electric Light Company. Behind was the coal-fired ‘power station’ whose tall chimney dominates old photos of the town centre. It was there for over 30 years. The architectural style is … Continue reading

Posted in Arts And Crafts, compass streets | Tagged , , | Comments Off on West Street No. 01 Former Electric Company – Heritage Buildings

Bromley South Station

The railway station of Bromley South. The original town rail station was at Shortlands.

Posted in Bromley South | Tagged | Comments Off on Bromley South Station

High Street No. 217, 1700s house and former bookshop – Heritage Buildings

The tattooist (No. 217), and the next door shop, occupy an 18th century house, worthy of mention as it was the premises of two Bromley notable historians and printers, each producing from this shop an invaluable histories of Bromley – … Continue reading

Posted in High St North, pre-victorian | Tagged , , | Comments Off on High Street No. 217, 1700s house and former bookshop – Heritage Buildings

High Street No. 232 – Heritage Building

This shop was the site of Morley’s Academy, which was on the upper floors, where the author HG Wells went to school, after he had graduated from the Dame school on south street. It was demolished in 1902 and replaced … Continue reading

Posted in High St North | Tagged , , | Comments Off on High Street No. 232 – Heritage Building

High Street 189-191 Former Cottages

The Funeral Directors , News Agents and dry cleaners shop occupy two 18th century cottages, part of a terrace originally of five. They are typical Kentish vernacular style with the characteristic double pitched roofs clad with Kentish clay peg tiles.

Posted in High St North | Tagged | Comments Off on High Street 189-191 Former Cottages

Palace Park – 1732 Lead Cistern

This lead cistern says that it was installed by Bishop of Rochester, Joseph Wilcocks. He carried out renovations and improvements to the palace. Thanks to Bromley Borough Local History. The whereabouts of the cistern is not now know, it was … Continue reading

Posted in Green Space - Palace Park | Tagged , | Comments Off on Palace Park – 1732 Lead Cistern