Category Archives: Green Space – Palace Park

The Ice Well and Boating House

The original ice well was built in the mid 1700s, when the well-to-do would store ice, stored in layers of straw. In the winter, ice was brought from marshes around the Thames, or even as far as Norway, in the … Continue reading

Posted in Green Space - Palace Park | Tagged | Comments Off on The Ice Well and Boating House

St Blaise’s Well

St Blaise’s well was rediscovered in 1754 (by the Bishop’s domestic chaplain, a Rev Mr Hardwick); a worker showed him a spring, seeping into the moat, which he identified as a chalybeate spring. It had buried ancient oak steps. The … Continue reading

Posted in Green Space - Palace Park, pre-victorian | Tagged | Comments Off on St Blaise’s Well

The Pulham Rockery and Fernery

The Pulham’s Rockery and Pulham’s Fernery were fashionable garden installations in the late Victorian era. Pulhams had invented an early form of concrete, which looks quite convincingly like rocks – but was much easier to install Continue reading

Posted in Green Space - Palace Park | Tagged , , | Comments Off on The Pulham Rockery and Fernery

Palace Park – 1732 Lead Cistern

This lead cistern says that it was installed by Bishop of Rochester, Joseph Wilcocks. He carried out renovations and improvements to the palace. Thanks to Bromley Borough Local History. The whereabouts of the cistern is not now know, it was … Continue reading

Posted in Green Space - Palace Park | Tagged , | Comments Off on Palace Park – 1732 Lead Cistern

Lord of the Manor’s Folly

The folly for the BIshops Palace was Grade II listed by English Heritage in 1955 because:
* It is an intrinsically interesting mid-c19th folly, unusually employing Norman-style decoration to evoke the spirit of the former bishop’s palacr.
* It is by Pulhams, one of the most innovative and interesting c19th firms of garden contractors. Continue reading

Posted in Green Space - Palace Park | Tagged , | Comments Off on Lord of the Manor’s Folly