Market Square Nos 12-13 Cafe Rouge – Heritage Building

Cafe Rouge, formerly Herbert Collings

Cafe Rouge occupies the first building displaying the transition from a small market town into a Victorian shopping centre.

It was built in 1883 by local draper, Herbert Collings, well known for banishing the old system of credit in favour of the modern concept of cash only sales and introducing the idea of window shopping displays, which were made possible in the design of his new premises.

Before this time it was normal for people to hold an account at the shop and pay every month. Quite often a ‘House’ might send someone with the order, or latterly telephone, and the shopping would be delivered later.

This entry was posted in High St & Market Sq and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.