Lord of the Manor’s Folly

stone and flint mini tower with arched window
To Be LOST: the stone-and-flint folly from the Bishops Palace – made with fragments found in the Moat during restoration work in the 19th Century

This fine Victorian folly stands in neglected and slightly overgrown landscaped grounds, at the entrance from Rafford Way.

In 2019 it was sold, along with a quarter of the park lands at the civic centre, for housing development.

 The folly was Grade II listed by English Heritage in 1955 because:

  • It is an intrinsically interesting mid-c19th folly, unusually employing Norman-style decoration to evoke the spirit of the former bishop’s palace
  • It is probably by Pulhams, one of the most innovative and interesting c19th firms of garden contractors.
This entry was posted in Green Space - Palace Park and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.