Category Archives: compass streets

North Street, South Street, East Street and West Street

Community House (former Magistrates Court) – Heritage Building Profile

The former Magistrates Court was designed in 1939 by C Cowles Voysey and forms part of an identifiable group of public buildings with the Fire Station and the Town Hall complex.

Posted in compass streets | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on Community House (former Magistrates Court) – Heritage Building Profile

The Fire Station – Heritage Building Profile

The Fire Station was designed by Stanley Hawkings, the Borough Engineer, and was completed in 1905 at a cost of £5,191 12s 6d. A charming twist on the prevailing neo-georgian architecture of the time. Before this the fire brigade was … Continue reading

Posted in compass streets | Tagged , , | Comments Off on The Fire Station – Heritage Building Profile

Number 8 South Street – HG Wells Dame school

No. 8 South Street is where Mrs Knotts dame school was attended by a young H.G. Wells between 1871 and 1874.  In his autobiography, he describes it as “off with my brother Freddy (who was on no account to let … Continue reading

Posted in compass streets, HG Wells locations, Local History | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on Number 8 South Street – HG Wells Dame school

West Street – former post office

The former Post Office in West Street was completed in 1896, it was occupied in 1897 and enlarged in 1913. The previous premises in Market Square had become too small to cope with the rapid expansion of the town.

Posted in compass streets | Tagged , | Comments Off on West Street – former post office

No. 19 East Street (former Local Board)- Heritage Building Profile

Number 19 East Street was formerly the offices of the Local Board (the first body of local administration in Bromley). It stood at the junction of East Street and West Street. The purpose of the local board was to provide … Continue reading

Posted in compass streets | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on No. 19 East Street (former Local Board)- Heritage Building Profile

The Old Drill Hall (now O’Neils) – Heritage Building Profile

The Drill Hall, Nos 27-29 East Street, was opened in 1872 for use by the Bromley Volunteer Rifle Corps. Town celebrations and events were held here. It became a public house in 1997. x  

Posted in compass streets | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on The Old Drill Hall (now O’Neils) – Heritage Building Profile

K2 Telephone Kiosk – Heritage

Note the red K2 type telephone kiosk at the junction with College Road which dates from 1927 and is one of a series of cast iron kiosks designed by Giles Gilbert Scott. Other cast concrete and cast iron kiosks by … Continue reading

Posted in compass streets | Tagged , | Comments Off on K2 Telephone Kiosk – Heritage