Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul – Heritage Building

The Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul in Church Road was almost totally destroyed by bombing on the night of 16 April 1941. Only the 15th century tower remains. It was one of the first churches to be rebuilt after the war. Princess Elizabeth, now Queen Elizabeth II, laid the foundation stone in 1949. The new church by F. Harold Gibbons was dedicated by the Bishop of Rochester in 1957. The building makes use of local materials including flints. The lych gate dates from 1855.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.